Aloha Hawaii State Data Center Affiliates –
We will be having an HSDC affiliate workshop on June 6, 2016. It will be conducted by Lia Bolden from the L.A. Regional Office of the U.S. Census Bureau. Jerry Wong is
still assigned to the 2020 Census Test in L.A. A PDF file containing the workshop information is attached. The information is also shown below.
Hope you are able to join us!
May 12, 2016
TO: Hawaii State Data Center Affiliates
FROM: Jan Nakamoto
Hawaii State Data Center
SUBJECT: Hawaii State Data Center Affiliate Workshop on Monday Afternoon, June 6, 2016 –
Using Census Data to Look for Trends in Your Community/Using Census Data Tools
A Hawaii State Data Center affiliate hands-on computer workshop will be held on Monday, June 6, 2016. The workshop presenter will be
Ms. Elaine “Lia” Bolden, Data Dissemination Specialist from the L.A. Regional Office of the U.S. Census Bureau. See the next page for her biography.
Lia will cover:
● Census basics
● Working with pre-packaged data products like the comparative and narrative profiles available for geographies within Hawaii
● Retrieving decennial and American Community Survey (ACS) data for use in trend analysis
● Retrieving demographic, social, economic and housing data by using the revised American FactFinder tool, the Census Business Builder (good tool for small businesses) and the Census Reporter (good tool for media people)
● Brief look at the new census data tool being developed by the Center for Enterprise Dissemination Services and Consumer Innovation (CEDSCI)
● Census Bureau’s efforts to promote the development of web and mobile apps
Race and ethnicity data, especially for the Native Hawaiian race category, will be included in the above topics when possible.
Workshop details are as follows:
Monday, June 6, 2016
1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Hamilton Library, Room 113
Honolulu, Hawaii 96822
To reserve a space or for questions, email me at email@example.com or David Fink at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you will be using the visitor parking lot area on the U.H. Manoa campus, the link to information regarding this parking is at:
We would like to thank the U.H. Hamilton Library affiliates for co-sponsoring these HSDC workshops. Also, a big welcome to Ms. Gwen Sinclair who is
the new affiliate contact person for the U.H. Hamilton Library Government Documents Collection. Gwen has been a part of many previous U.H. census workshops.
Workshop Presenter’s Biography
Lia Bolden is a Data Dissemination Specialist with the Customer Liaison Marketing Services Office. She began her Census career in 1988 where she served as a Partnership Specialist for the1990 Decennial Census.
She has an extensive background in community initiatives with the Census Bureau, serving in the Partnership and Data Services programs in 2000 and 2010 Census. During the interim years, Lia was a Co-Managing
Partner of a consulting firm specializing in providing planning, training and project management services to local communities and organizations engaged in community/ economic development. Lia's workshops areengaging and bring a spark of light to the world of statistics.